Transactional Education: What's Next? Conference Program Schedule
Friday, June 4
11:30 a.m. 1:00 p.m.
Registration, lunch and networking
1:00 1:45 p.m.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
Tina L. Stark, Emory University School of Law
1:45 2:00 p.m.
2:00 3:30 p.m.
Afternoon Session 1
Contract Drafting in 90 Minutes
- Charles Fox, Pace Law School/Fox Professional Development LLC Contract Organization and Drafting Techniques
- Jane Scott, St. Johns University School of Law The Key Contract Concepts
Ethical Issues in Business and the Lawyers Role
- Tamar Frankel, Boston University School of Law
- Carol Morgan, The University of Georgia School of Law
- Robert Rhee, The University of Maryland School of Law
Simulations in Clinics, Contract Drafting, and Upper-level Courses
- Danny Bogart, Chapman University School of Law Simulations in a Commercial Leasing Course
- David Epstein, New York Law School Simulations in Contract Drafting
- Carole Heyward, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Simulations in Clinics
- Helen Scott, New York University School of Law A Simulation in an Upper-level Course
3:30 3:45 p.m.
3:45 5:15 p.m.
Afternoon Session 2
All about the First Year of Law School
- Michael Hunter Schwartz, Washburn University School of Law Teaching Contracts from a Transactional Perspective
- Jessica Rubin, University of Connecticut School of Law Teaching Interviewing, Negotiation, Counseling, and Drafting Second Semester
- Chaim Saiman, Villanova Law School Transactional Lawyering-- A Conceptual Approach
Interdisciplinary Transactional Courses
- William A. Kell, UC Berkeley School of Law
- Anthony J. Luppino, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law
- Eric J. Gouvin, Western New England College School of Law
- Robert Statchen, Western New England College School of Law
Legal Writing Professors Morphing into Contract Drafting Professors
- Ted Becker, University of Michigan Law School Rookie Mistakes to Avoid
- Carolyn Broering-Jacobs, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Team-teaching with an Adjunct
- Grace Hum, University of San Francisco School of Law Unfounded Fears
- Barbara Lentz and Miki Felsenburg, Wake Forest University School of Law Contract Drafting and Legal Writing: Shared Strategies for Improving Students Learning Outcomes
- Howard Katz and Jacki Knapman, Elon University School of Law Negotiation as a Foundational Skill
- Tina L. Stark, Emory University School of Law and Richard K. Neumann, Hofstra University School of Law Contract Drafting a Prerequisite to Teaching Transactional Negotiation
5:15 p.m. 6:30 p.m.
Cocktail Reception 1st Floor, Bacardi Plaza
Emory University School of Law
Dinner Emory Conference Center Hotel
Saturday, June 5
8:30 9:00 a.m.
Breakfast and networking
9:00 9:45 a.m.
Conference Keynote Discussion: Just Exactly What Does a Transactional Lawyer Do?
- Moderator, William J. Carney, Emory University School of Law
- George W. Dent, Jr., Case Western Reserve University Law School
- Ronald J. Gilson, Columbia Law School and Stanford Law School
9:45 10:00 a.m.
10:00 11:30 a.m.
Morning Session 1
New Ways to Teach Drafting and Drafting Ethics
- Susan Chesler, Arizona State University, Sandra Day OConnor College of Law and Karen Sneddon, Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law Teaching Drafting Ethics Using Video Vignettes
- Susan Duncan, University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law and David Thomson, University of Denver, Sturm College of Law Teaching Drafting Online
- Lisa Penland, Drake University School of Law Teaching Contract Drafting in Two Weeks
Outcomes and Assessments
- Rosemary Dillon, University of Denver, Sturm College of Law Assessing Drafting Assignments in a First Year Writing Course
- Barbara Lentz, Wake Forest University School of Law Developing Effective Assessment Methods for a Contract Drafting Course
- Sue Payne, Northwestern University School of Law Voice Commenting on a Contract
- Howard P. Walthall, Cumberland Law School Outcomes and Assessments in Unincorporated Business Entities, Contracts II, and Payments
Teaching Transactional Skills and Tasks Other than Contract Drafting
- W. David East, South Texas College of Law Opinions
- Douglas Wm. Godfrey, Chicago-Kent College of Law Interviewing and Presentation Skills
- Carol D. Newman, Bryan Cave LLP/Emory University School of Law The Deal Skills Course: Integrating Transactional Skills and Tasks with Doctrinal Foundation
11:30 11:45 a.m.
11:45 a.m. 1:15 p.m.
Morning Session 2
Innovative Transactional Pedagogies
- Joan Heminway, The University of Tennessee College of Law Corporate Finance as Advanced Contract Drafting
- Lyman P. Q. Johnson, Washington and Lee University School of Law In-office Meetings and Analytical Memos to Teach Substance and Skill in Contract Drafting
- Michael A. Woronoff, Proskauer Rose LLP/UCLA School of Law Teaching Numeracy
Teaching Transactional Skills and Law in an International Context
- Deborah Burand, University of Michigan Law School Early Lessons in Launching an International Transactions Clinic
- Peter Linzer, University of Houston Law Center International Contracting
- Kojo Yelpaala, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law - A Multidisciplinary Approach to Strategy and Planning International Transactions
Transactional Centers and Certificate Programs
- John J. Worley, South Texas College of Law
- Sherry Porter, Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law
- Karl Okamoto, The Earle Macke School of Law at Drexel University
1:30 2:00 p.m.
- Karl Okamoto, The Earle Macke School of Law at Drexel University Transactional Lawyering Meets
- David East, South Texas College of Law - All about Adjuncts
- Richard K. Neumann, Hofstra University School of Law Challenges of Legal Writing Professors Who Teach Contract Drafting and How to Meet Them
2:15 3:45 p.m.
- Miriam Albert, Hofstra University School of Law Teaching Doctrine and Skills Simultaneously
- Lydie Nadia Cabrera Pierre-Louis, St. Thomas University School of Law Analyzing the Key Provisions of an Annual Report
- Lenne Espenschied, The University of Georgia School of Law Demonstrating the Allocation of Risk
- Grace M. Giesel, University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law Teaching Ethics in a Drafting Course
Teaching Contract Drafting Using Real Contracts
- Shelley Dunck, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Brian Krumm, The University of Tennessee College of Law
- Sharon Pocock, Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
Upper-level Courses: Three Exemplars
- Mark Fagan, Mossavar‐Rahmani Center for Business and Government, John F. Kennedy School of Government (Harvard) Securitization and Asset-backed Securities
- Eric J. Gouvin, Western New England College School of Law Secured Transactions
- Kathy Z. Heller, Chapman University School of Law Teaching Deals through a Focus on the Entertainment Industry