Emory Law invites parents, family, and friends to join us as we celebrate the Class of 2014.
JD, LLM, and JM Spring Commencement
May 12, 2014
- Remember to plan for out-of-town guests. Find out about hotels, disability access, and other details here.
- Submit Special Needs Request (Includes disability, impairments, or access issues excluding hearing impairments.) Submit through May 5 with the University Special Needs Request Form >> For hearing impairment special needs, contact the Law School Registrar.
- Make-Up Portraits April 18, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in Hunter Atrium.
- Permission to Graduate in Abstentia March 10 - April 30. Submit your letter to the Law School Registrar for permission to graduate in abstentia. All requests must be approved by the Dean.
- Pick Up Regalia Law School regalia will be distributed at the Law School in the Office of Admission and Financial Aid G-150 (not Barnes & Noble, as previously communicated). Please note that JD students must complete the Graduate Survey in Symplicity in order to pick up their regalia. Dates and times are as follows:
- May 5, 2014 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- May 6, 2014 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- May 7, 2014 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Graduating students must meet the following requirements before Commencement.
- 2014 Graduation Meetings Please plan to attend ONE of the meetings below as we will be covering important information about Commencement. Food will be served.
- Date: April 18: Room: 5E, 12:15 – 1 p.m.
- Date: April 21: Room: 5E, 12:15 – 1 p.m.
- ABA-Required JD Graduate Survey via Symplicity Graduating JD students received an email from Dean Schapiro during early April with the survey instructions. Contact Emily Bramer or Michelle Valteau if you have questions. Please note that you must complete the survey in order to pick up your regalia. (The Career Center can assist if you have questions.)
- Financial Aid Exit Interview You can complete your exit loan interview online at www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA. The tutorial should take between 10-15 minutes. Once you’ve completed the tutorial, Emory will receive confirmation of it.
- Clearing Final Charges To avoid a University "Hold" on your diploma, pay all outstanding tuition, health services charges, parking, and library fines NOW.
- Graduation Verification The Graduation Audit Worksheet used to verify your graduation requirements and hours was emailed in early January. Please let the Office of the Registrar know if you have questions about it or didn't receive a copy.
- Provide your Bar Certification Form to the Law School Registrar Deadlines determined by the specific state to which you are applying. Please check your chosen state's bar website for deadlines. Note: Please take all forms to the Registrar's office. They will verify the information then obtain the Dean's signature. Do not take your forms directly to the Dean's office.
- University Graduation Week Activities, May 6 - 10 Open to all law students. Learn more on the University Commencement site >
- 168th Commencement Exercise of Emory University May 12, 7:15 - 9:15 a.m. on The Quadrangle. Students must be in line by 7:15 a.m. Location will be determined by May 1 and communicated immediately. Full details are available on the University Commencement site (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Attendance at this ceremony is mandatory unless permission to graduate in abstentia has been submitted.
- School of Law Diploma Ceremony May 12, 10:00 am start on Gambrell Hall Lawn.
- Students are to proceed from the Quad to the Terrace to line up.
- Dress: Commencement robes and velvet caps are heavyweight, so dress appropriately but for comfort. Dress for guests is business casual - most hooders wear suits/ties, but it is not necessary. Your hooder does not wear academic regalia.
- Hooders have a special reserved section of the audience close to the aisle so they can accompany the graduate to the stage. Hooding instructions are included in the Law School Commencement Program. Please advise your hooder that two seats have been reserved for the hooder and a guest in the name of the graduate. (Note: all hooder requests should have been submitted by this time. If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar.)
- Diplomas: Students receive blank diplomas. Actual engraved diplomas are picked up when regalia is returned on graduation day.
- Inclement Weather Plan Download the Emory Commencement QuickGuide for complete details >>
- Law School Reception May 12, immediately after the Diploma Ceremony in Gambrell Hall.
- Regalia Returns Regalia will be returned to one of the 1st floor classrooms after the Diploma Ceremony, at which time students will pick up actual diplomas.
- Graduation Pictures Professional photographers will take photos after hooding and again when you receive your diploma. They will also be available for formal family photos after the ceremony.
Click here. Enter your username and password, then go to Registrar, then right side of page. If certification is required, send to the Registrar's attention. Do not send to Financial Aid.
Georgia Bar The Registrar will notify the Georgia Bar of your academic eligibility to sit for the exam which will extend their official transcript due date.
IMPORTANT --Even though the Registrar sends this letter, YOU must officially request that your Emory Law School transcript is sent to the GA Bar. Transcript Requests should be ordered through OPUS. If you order now, be sure to check the box "Hold for Spring Grades."
Other State Bars Students applying to other state bars should turn in the certification forms for completion and submission before or after graduation. Please remember to have a final official transcript sent to the bar admissions office in the state you will take the exam. Transcript Requests should be ordered through OPUS. If you order now, be sure to check the box "Hold for Spring Grades."
Emory Health Insurance
Emory health insurance covers until mid August of this year. A continuation plan that will extend coverage for 3 or 6 months after leaving Emory is available for purchase. Contact Student Health for information.
Law School Email and Updates
Your law school e-mail account should be active until the end of July. To establish your permanent Emory email account, visit the Emory Alumni Benefits and Services page (scroll down).
To update your contact information post graduation, please visit Emory Alumni Connections and complete the online form >>
As long as there is no outstanding balance on your Emory account, you can use the gym until the end of July.