How To Get Started
Attention all 1Ls, 2Ls and LLMs! The application period for Fall 2013 clinics and externships is upon us. Here's what you need to know:
- There will be an info session (in Tull) and table-talk fair (in Hunter Atrium) on Feb. 6 from 12-2. We'll describe what clinics and externships are, and give you an overview of how to apply. Be sure to review information about the externship program, as the course requirements have changed!
- Click here to view a printable list of externships and clinics by practice area. Click here to view a printable list of all externships and clinics in alphabetical order showing eligibility requirements and practice areas. Please note that these have been updated since the handouts at the info session, because there were some errors in those lists.
- The application period for both clinics and field placements begins Feb. 6.
- All experiential learning applications will be accepted via Symplicity. Look under Jobs | Externships and Clinics. You can also use Advanced Search to filter by practice area, location, immigration restrictions, class year eligibility, and more! [Note: you will not be able to view available placements until after Feb. 4.]
- You can apply to up to 4 externships, and as many clinics as you like. You can take no more than 2 externships during law school (one of which may be a full-year placement); clinics are not subject to this limit.
- Past students' evaluations of externships are available via a link on Symplicity (look for the Externships/Clinics announcement). Your classmates have provided this information for your use only. Please keep this information within the Law School.
- You may at any time during the application period -- all applications are sent to placements at one time, at the end of the application periods. The application period for externships closes at 11:58pm on Feb. 13. The application period for clinics closes at 11:58pm on Feb. 26.
- The externships will interview students on Feb. 25-Mar. 7, and externship offers will be released Mar. 22. You will have through Mar. 26 to make a decision about externship offers. (Preregistration begins on March 25.)
- Each of the clinics will have their own selection timelines, but will be making offers at approximately the same time (so that you can plan your course schedules).
- After receiving offers, externship students will be required to contact their placements to find out onboarding procedures, and to sign an agreement via Symplicity, before they will be enrolled.
For questions about the clinics:
Barton Child Policy Legislative Clinic: Kirsten Widner, email@example.com
Barton Juvenile Defender: Randee Waldman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barton Appeal for Youth: Steve Reba, email@example.com
Turner Environmental Law Clinic: Mindy Goldstein, firstname.lastname@example.org
International Humanitarian Law Clinic: Laurie Blank, email@example.com
We hope to see you at the fair on Feb. 6 -- and in any event, we hope you'll sign up for an experiential learning opportunity!